This is my Tortilla Soup recipe modified for Keto. There’s a list at the bottom of the recipe for Keto and Non-Keto Garnishes. You could also adapt this to Vegetarian/ Vegan with swaps listed in the notes at the bottom.
Makes 4 Dinner Sized Bowls
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
• 1 Tbl. Bacon Grease or Avocado Oil
• 1/3 Cup Onions, finely chopped
• 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
• 1 Jalapeño, finely diced
• 2 Cups Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes
• 4 Cups Chicken Broth
• 1 or 2 Chipotles in Adobo Sauce, finely chopped (start with one, and if you want it spicier, add a second one)
• 1 tsp. Cumin Powder
• 3 Cups Rotisserie Chicken, Chopped ( You could also use Shredded Beef, Pork, you could also use a package of Andouille or Polska Kielbasa)
• 1 – 1/2 Cups Zucchini, cubed or sliced into bite sized pieces
• Salt and Pepper, to taste
Keto Friendly Garnishes:
(Use all, or any that you have on hand)
– Radishes, thinly sliced
– Cilantro, Chopped
-Onion, finely diced
– Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated
– Sour Cream
– Avocado, cubed
– Lime Wedges, to serve on the side
1.) In a large pot, with Oil or Bacon Grease sauté, Onions, Garlic, and Jalapeños over medium heat, until Onions are translucent. Stir often so the Garlic doesn’t burn.
2.) Add everything else, excluding the garnishes. Heat through on medium to medium high heat until hot enough. Taste and make sure it has enough salt.
3.) Serve with all, or whatever garnishes below that you like.
-💙Homemade Chicken Broth is preferred, but any good chicken stock or broth will suffice.
– 💙Non Keto Garnishes: Cooked Rice, Frozen Corn, Black Beans, and Tortilla Chips. These coupled with the keto garnishes is how I used to serve it for my family.
-💙This recipe is super flexible in regards to the meat you can use. I usually use a Rotisserie Chicken, but I have also used Smoked Sausage, Polska, and Andouille. I think even Chorizo could work.
-💙Vegetarian/Vegan Swaps Plant Based Faux Chicken or Soyrizo for the meat part, or just extra Veggies, Black Beans, Corn, Spinach, or Rice.
-💙Vegan Chicken Style Broth for the Broth Part.
– 💙Vegan Cheese
-💙Nut Sour Cream (macadamia or cashews, soaked and rinsed. Then add some water, lemon, salt, pepper and nutritional yeast and blitz in the blender) or other Dairy Free Sour Cream substitute