This is one of my favorite 30 minute meals. Everyone I’ve made this for goes crazy for it, and there’s rarely anything left. Super fresh and Herbaceous. Please read notes at the bottom of recipe.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time 15-20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
– 1 lb. Ground Beef
– 1 Tbl. Fish Sauce (Red Boat Brand)
– 1 Tbl. Gluten Free Tamari (San J Brand)
– 1 Tbl. + 1 tsp. Thai Red Curry Paste (Thai & True or Thai Home are good brands)
– 1/2 Lime, juiced
Basil, Garlic and Jalapeno Mayo:
– 1/2 Cup Mayo
– 1/2 Lime, juiced
– 1 large or 2 small cloves of Garlic, minced
– 1/4 Cup Thai Basil, chiffonade
– 1/2 Jalapeno, finely minced
– Salt and Pepper, to taste
– 1 Head Butter Lettuce, carefully remove leaves
– 4 Mini Bell Peppers, finely minced
– 1/2 Cup English Cucumber, seeded and finely minced
– 1 Cup Purple Cabbage, finely shredded
– 2 Scallions, finely sliced
– 1/4 Cup Cilantro, rough chopped
– 1 lime, cut into wedges
1.) Brown 1 lb. ground beef over medium/high heat. (You don’t need to drain fat unless, there’s lots of fat. If it’s just a little bit I leave it)
2.) Add Lime, Fish Sauce, Red Curry Paste and Tamari. Turn down heat to low.
3.) Prepare Basil, Garlic and Jalapeno Mayo.
4.) Prepare Veggies, Lime Wedges and gently break off Lettuce pieces.
5.) To serve, place mini ramekins with meat, selection of Lettuce and Sliced Veggies, Basil Mayo in little cups and a wedge or two of lime on each plate.
– 💙 I spread mayo on the leaf, then top with meat, squeeze some lime then layer with the rest of the veggies, and eat it like a taco.
– 💙 I like to chop the veggies while the meat is browning.
-💙 This also can be made into a Salad with your favorite lettuce.
– 💙 Limes can vary in size and juiciness. Always buy extra limes in case you didn’t get a juicy one.
– 💙 I really love Thai and True’s Red Curry Paste. Another fave is Thai Home. These both have a super authentic flavor. If you can’t find these the Thai Kitchen brand, or whatever other red curry brand should suffice.
– 💙 I buy Lifetime Grazed Grass Fed Ground Beef 80/20. You can find it at Natural Grocers or order it delivered to your door frozen. Not a ton of fat comes off this brand, so I don’t drain it. Some brands do have a lot of fat that comes off, so drain in that case, but maybe leave a smidge of it in there so the meat doesn’t get too dry.
– 💙 If serving to 4 people, I would definitely double the recipe.
– 💙 This can also be served Family Style.
– 💙 Jalapeños are like wild cards some are spicy and some are not. I usually add a few seeds into my mayo. Taste and use your discretion or omit if you’re not into it.
– 💙 I love purple cabbage for the color contrast, but green will work just fine too.
– 💙 You could use Ground Turkey instead of Ground Beef.
– 💙 You could Veganize this recipe with Squeezed and Drained Extra Firm Tofu or Tempeh with a little Avocado Oil in the pan. Sub out fish sauce for a vegan alternative or omit and possibly use coconut aminos and a little seaweed to give that fishy flavor.
( I found this recipe that had some nice reviews)
Then for the Basil, Garlic, Jalapeno Mayo just use Veganaise or your favorite Vegan Mayo.
💙 Please let me know if you make this on here, or on my Instagram page @reedlovesketo